Mental Health First Aid
Be sure to check back here regularly for updates on additional training offerings for both SB&H staff and community members!
Mental Health First Aid (Adult) (MHFA)
MHFA is an 8-hour course that gives people the skills to help someone who is developing a mental health problem or experiencing a mental health crisis. The evidence behind the program demonstrates that it does build mental health literacy, helping the public identify, understand, and respond to signs of mental illness. This training is provided for a $35 fee.
Youth Mental Health First Aid (YMHFA)
YMHFA is specifically designed to teach individuals how to help an adolescent (age 12-18) who is experiencing a mental health or addictions challenge or is in crisis. YMHFA is primarily designed for adults who regularly interact with young people. The course introduces common mental health challenges for youth, reviews typical adolescent development, and teaches a 5-step action plan for how to help young people in both crisis and non-crisis situations. This training is provided at no cost through a grant from SAMHSA.
Upcoming Mental Health First Aid Trainings
Presented by: SB&H Mental Health First Aid Training Team
Location: SB&H Administration, 3450 N. 3rd Street, Phoenix
National Council Video: Be the Difference: Mental Health First Aid USA
To Register for a MHFA or YMHFA Training:
Step 1 - Click the link above for the date you would like to attend, and register via the EventBrite registration page.
For questions regarding SB&H's Mental Health First Aid trainings, please email MHATGrant@sbhservices.org.
Community Based Training Participants Cancellations Requirements
- Training cancellations received up to two weeks prior to class will be charged 25% of the full registration fee.
- Training cancellations received 5 business days or less prior to the scheduled training will be charged 50% of the full registration fee.
- Training cancellations 2 business days prior to class and no-shows are subject to payment for the full amount.
- Please note that if you do not cancel or do not attend, you are responsible for payment.
- If the registrant is unable to attend after registering, a substitute may be sent with no penalty. The registrant shall contact Jennifer Jonas, (602) 285-4229 to communicate this information.
Southwest Behavioral & Health Services Training Cancellations
- SB&H reserves the right to cancel or change a training any time, including but not limited to reasons of, lack of participation, training location, equipment or trainer availability.
- Participants will be notified 14 days prior to training, whenever possible.
- Registered training participants will not be charged for the class if SB&H cancels the training.
- SB&H is not liable for any direct, or indirect consequential or special damages that may be incurred due to a cancellation of a scheduled training, including, but not limited to, cancellation penalties for transportations or accommodations. The training participant shall be refunded any prepaid training fees.