Street Names: Blunt, Dope, Grass, Herb, Mary Jane, Pot, Reefer, Weed, Aunt Mary, BC Bud, Bud, Chronic, Ganja
Looks Like: Marijuana can be in the form of dried leaves that are crushed and rolled into a "joint" and smoked, brewed, into tea or mixed into food.
What Teens Have Heard: "Relaxing, not dangerous and often easier to get than alcohol."
Dangerous Because: Can cause memory and learning problems,slowed thinking and reaction time, hallucinations, delusions, impaired coordination, paranoia and depersonalization as well as complications with the heart and lungs. Can be addictive and cause permanent damage to developing brains.
Marijuana Talk Kit: For more information on talking with your kids about marijuana and tips on answering those tough questions, check out the Marijuana Talk Kit.
Check out: "Up In Smoke: Marijuana's Many Misconceptions"
- Arizona Criminal Justice Commision:Arizona Youth Survey Duke University: Persistent Cannabis Users Show Neuropsychological Decline From Childhood to Midlife
- The Lancet:Young Adult Sequele of Adolescent Cannabis Use: An Integrative Analysis
- National Highway Traffic Saftey Administration:Roadside Survey
- National Institutes of Health: National Iinsitute on Drug Abuse
- University of Michigan:Monitoring the Future Study